7 Best Smoker For Beginners Of 2022: Affordable & Easy To Use
Choosing a smoker for beginners is very important because it will be their first time smoking meat. Smoking meat can be a very enjoyable hobby, but if you do not know what to look for when purchasing a smoker, then it can be very frustrating and disappointing. In this guide, I’ve compiled my recommendations for the 7 best smokers for beginners, along with my top 5 picks.
This website uses affiliate links; if you click on my link and make a purchase, I will receive a small commission at no additional cost to you. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Grilling and smoking meat is a fun activity that satisfies everyone, no matter how young or old they are.
However, not all smokers are suitable for beginners. Some can be difficult to use, while others don’t have all the features you need.
That’s why we’ve compiled a list of the 7+ best smoker for beginners on the market today.
This link will take you to 7+ smokers, which will provide you with peace of mind and ease of use while not breaking the bank.
This will help you get the most out of your first smoker by making it easy to compare products and buy the best one.
Scroll down now if you want to find out more!
What is the best smoker for beginners?
Here are the 7 best smokers for beginners to buy this year:
- Best Overall: Weber Kettle Grill
- Best Pellet Smoker: Camp Chef 24 in. WIFI Woodwind Pellet Grill & Smoker
- Best Propane Smoker: Masterbuilt ThermoTemp XL Propane Smoker
- Best Kamodo Smoker: Kamado Joe Classic II
- Best Drum Smoker: Pit Barrel Cooker
- Best Electric Smoker: Masterbuilt Digital Electric Smoker
- Best Gravity Smoker: Masterbuilt Gravity Series 560
- Best Vertical Charcoal Smoker: Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker
1. Weber Kettle Grill
The Original Kettle Premium Charcoal Grill is a legendary outdoor cooking machine that’s been helping people spark their passion for charcoal grilling and smoking.
With this unit, you can grill and smoke your meat with ease and precision—whether it’s steaks, burgers, briskets, or anything else on your list of things to make with charcoal.
Its hinged cooking grate lets you add charcoal while cooking, and the One-Touch cleaning system with a high-capacity ash catcher. That means no more worrying about cleaning everything before you’re ready for another batch of delicious food!
It’s also made from the highest quality materials, so it’ll last for years.
Whether you are new to charcoal grilling or an experienced pro, this is one of the best ways to start your meal.
- It has a one-touch cleaning system with a high-capacity ash catcher. This means you won’t have to empty the ash catcher after every use, which keeps your grill clean and your food tasting fresh.
- Porcelain-enameled lid and bowl retain heat and won’t get rusty, so your grill will look great for years to come.
- The lid hook allows you to hang the lid when not in use
- The hinged cooking grate lets you easily add charcoal while cooking.
- Built-in lid thermometer displays the internal temperature so you can keep track of when your food is ready.
- There are tool hooks that make it easy for you to bring along additional tools like spatulas, tongs, or scoops when you’re cooking outside—so you don’t have to carry around extra equipment just because there’s an outside event happening!
The Bottom line
The Weber Kette Grill is best for those who want the best quality charcoal smoker at an affordable price.
It is one of the most popular models and can be used for all your smoking needs. It has a decent cooking space that can be used for smoking as well as grilling. The smoker is easy to assemble and very easy to use.
You can check the latest price and buy the Weber Kettle Grill here:
2. Camp Chef 24 in. WIFI Woodwind Pellet Grill & Smoker
Best pellet smoker
The Camp Chef Woodwind WIFI smoker is a revolutionary smoker with internet connectivity, which allows you to monitor and control your home smoker from anywhere in the world.
With its innovative Campchef app and WIFI-enabled controller, you’re ready to smoke like a pro in no time.
The Woodwind 24 features a two-stage firebox with a recessed smoker box that lets you smoke dry at a lower temperature and then switch to wet smoking when your food is done to perfection.
This smoker comes in two varieties: indirect and direct. You can easily switch between indirect and direct flame with the turn of a knob for ultimate control.
The best part is you can even add a compatible Sidekick flat top on the side for propane-powered cooking to cook sidedish or sear your steak while smoking your meat on the left.
- Total cooking space: 811 square inches
- Temperature range: 160 Fc~ 500 F from slow smoking to grilling.
- With the Smoke Control, you can adjust the level of smoke from 1 to 10.
- The Slide and Grill technology allows for direct flame grilling with temperatures up to 650 F, so you can sear steaks, burgers, and other meats to perfection.
- The ashes will fall from the burn cup into a removable cup on the underside of the pellet grill with the simple pull of a knob.
- You can stay connected with your device via the Campchef app, set timers and temperatures, or receive notifications with the equipped PID and WIFI-enabled controller.
The Camp Chef Woodwind WIFI smoker is ideal for BBQ beginner that wants a smoker that can be controlled remotely while still allowing them to cook over a direct flame without having to worry about being tied to the smoker.
This smoker has many features that allow you to set their device and forget about it while still having full control over their cooking.
You can check the latest price and buy the Camp Chef Woodwind here:
3. Masterbuilt ThermoTemp XL Propane Smoker
Best propane smoker
The Masterbuilt ThermoTemp XL propane smoker is a great smoker for large gatherings, and it can handle up to 10 people at once.
This smoker comes in about 39 pieces—you have to assemble it yourself—but the good instructions make it easy for anyone with basic DIY skills.
With 4 smoking racks, you can smoke up to 16 chickens, 6 turkeys, 8 racks of ribs, or 8 pork butts in it, and there’s no need to babysit the temperature—they already do that for you.
Masterbuilt has patented its ThermoTemp technology that controls the flame’s temperature inside this smoker.
And when you are not there to monitor the temperature? You can use their patented safety shut-off valve to ensure that your meat is cooked safely and thoroughly.
A built-in thermocouple within the unit allows you to monitor your smoker while still keeping an eye on your food as it cooks.
Finally, it also has good caster wheels, so it’s easy to move around once it’s set up on your deck or patio (or wherever else you want).
- Cooking space: 961 square inches
- The temperature ranges from 175 F to 350 F.
- The temperature sensor will keep the burner at the desired temperature, so you don’t have to worry about overcooking your food.
- It is the perfect size for large gatherings and can handle up to 10 people at once. It’s also great for tailgating or camping.
- The stainless-steel wood chip tray is mounted on the lower door, so it’s easy to access while you’re cooking.
- The heat diffuser distributes heat evenly from the burner for up to 57 hours of cooking time, which means you can cook for hours without having to worry about running out of fuel.
- The side-mounted grease tray makes cleanup even easier—just dump out the grease and wipe down the tray to keep it clean.
- The propane tank retention bracket provides stability for your propane tank, so it doesn’t wobble around while you’re cooking.
The Bottom line
Masterbuilt ThermoTemp XL Propane Smoker is best for those who want a gas smoker that’s easy to use and clean but still allows you to control your cooking temperature. It’s also a good choice if you don’t have much space in your backyard because it’s compact enough to store away when you’re not using it.
You can check the latest price and buy the Masterbuilt ThermoTemp here:
4. Kamado Joe Classic II
The Kamado Joe Classic II comes with everything you need to start smoking, grilling, and baking right out of the box—no extra accessories are required.
From its build and construction to its materials and accessories, it’s nothing short of impressive.
Then there’s the control tower: an all-aluminum top vent that gives you precise control over your cook and doubles as a rain guard so you can cook rain or shine.
One of the most important changes made was the gasket – A wire mesh gasket seals out air and lasts 10 times longer than the classic gasket.
They created a patented interlocking panel setup that prevents cracking and keeps your grill looking great for years to come!
The slide-out ash drawer also helps eliminate crawling on your knees to clean out that ash before your next cook—and it’s not just any ash drawer: they’ve added a hole so you can tap on top of unused charcoal.
But what makes this cooker stand out is the divide-and-conquer flexible cooking system – The cooking system is divided into two separate chambers, each with its own temperature control.
- Cooking space: 250 square inches
- Ceramic charcoal grill with cart & locking wheels
- 2-Tier Divide & Conquer Flexible Cooking System
- The Kontrol Tower top vent
- Air Lift hinge
- The Patented Ash Drawer
- Double-thick Wire Mesh Fiberglass Gasket
The Bottom line
Kamado Joe Classic II is best for those who want an affordable, high-quality kamado grill and smoker that will last for years.
It has a large cooking area with plenty of space for you and your family to enjoy time together outdoors.
The Kamado Joe Classic II features durable construction made from stainless steel, ceramic, and silicone—making it easy to clean and maintain.
And with its patented design, you’ll get even heat distribution throughout the entire cooking surface for perfectly cooked food every time!
You can check the latest price and buy the Kamado Joe Classic II here:
5. Pit barrel cooker
Best ugly drum smoker
If you’re looking for an inexpensive and set-it-and-forget-it type of smoker, the Pit Barrel Cooker might be what you’ve been looking for!
It’s got a lot of cooking capacity inside, and the price tag is super affordable.
It has 240 square inches of cooking grates, so you can cook your meat on them or hang it with hooks over a live fire.
Unlike offset or pellet smokers, where your meat is not directly exposed to the fire, this smoker is designed to cook your meat directly above a high-heat live fire, allowing you to put amazing bark and color on your meat while also allowing air circulation for moisture without burning the meat.
There’s also a charcoal basket at the bottom; they put a plate in the charcoal basket so that you can easily take the charcoal out and let the burned ashes fall down.
- The Pit Barrel Cooker is made with a superior-grade porcelain enamel finish, which is extremely durable and easy to clean.
- You can use the handles on the side to easily lift the barrel off the stand for easy transport.
- This portable smoker comes with the following:
- The barrel
- 2 Hanging Rods
- 8 Stainless Steel Hooks
- Standard Grill Grate
- Charcoal Basket
- Hook Remover Tool
- There are 3 optional accessory packages that provide you with various options for additional accessories.
The Bottom line
Rather than cooking with propane or electricity, The Pit Barrel Cooker is a great choice for BBQ beginners who want a true smoky flavor on their meat but don’t want to fuss with adjusting the vents or fire spikes.
It’s the kind of thing you can set and forget while still getting a great BBQ experience at a low cost.
You can check the latest price and buy the Pit barrel cooker here:
6. Masterbuilt 30-Inch Digital Electric Smoker
The Masterbuilt Electric Smoker is the perfect way to get delicious smoked meat and fish without the hassle of tending a fire. It’s also great for making jerky, sausage, and other foods that need to be smoked over low heat for a long time.
Cleaning up after cooking is simple because the door latch can be adjusted so that you can open and close it with one hand.
The four smoking rags let you place various foods in your smoker without worrying about sticking.
With the internal meat probe, you can monitor your meat’s temperature for perfect results.
In addition, you can now add wood chips without ever opening the smoker door thanks to the revolutionary new wood tube.
This smoker will also come with a water bowl to add moisture to the meat and a bottom drip pan so that you can make sure that everything stays clean during use.
The smoker’s top has an air damper that regulates the amount of smoke and moisture that each cook receives.
- Cooking space: 250 square inches
- This Masterbuilt smoker features a digital panel that allows you to adjust the temperature from 0 ~275 degrees F.
- Four chrome-coated smoking racks provide ample space to smoke your favorite meat or fish.
- The thermostat temperature control feature ensures consistent temperatures throughout the entire smoking process.
- The fully-insulated body retains heat to ensure your food is always cooked to perfection without burning or drying out.
- The water bowl adds moisture and flavor to your food, while the air damper on the top of the smoker helps control smoke so that your food isn’t overwhelmed.
- The removable drip pan collects drippings from your food, while the rear grease tray catches any excess grease that may have leaked out during cooking.
The Bottom line
The Masterbuilt 30-inch Digital is ideal for those who want to smoke a variety of meats, fish, and vegetables without spending too much time lighting a fire.
This smoker has a temperature range of 100 degrees Fahrenheit to 275 degrees Fahrenheit, which is more than enough for most people.
It also comes with an adjustable thermostat and a built-in meat probe, so you can monitor the internal temperature of your food.
You can check the latest price and buy the Masterbuilt Digital Electric Smoker here:
7. Masterbuilt Gravity Series 560
Best gravity smoker
The Masterbuilt Gravity Series 560 grill and smoker does it all: grilling, smoking, roasting, baking, searing, and more.
It’s simple to use—just set the temperature you want your food to cook at using the digital control panel or your smart device, then go about your business.
The GravityFed charcoal hopper can hold up to 12 hours of charcoal to keep the fire going.
The DigitalFan keeps the desired cooking temperature constant, allowing you to relax and enjoy your meal—or even get some work done while you wait for your food to finish cooking.
The reversible cast-iron grates are ideal for smoking or searing, and this grill can reach 700°F in just 13 minutes. Get the flavor and versatility of charcoal while enjoying the convenience of gas.
It has a large cooking surface of 560 square inches, allowing you to spread whatever you’re cooking there.
Since this unit uses gravity-feed technology, adding charcoal is easier than ever; just open up the hopper lid, add what you need, and close it back up!
Whether you’re looking for a versatile way to make delicious food in your backyard or at the campsite, this grill will keep up with your needs.
- It heats up to 225°F in 7 minutes and 700°F in 13 minutes, allowing you to quickly and easily get your food smoking or searing..
- The temperature control with a digital fan ensures that you have precise temperature control over your food.
- The built-in gauge and meat probe thermometer ensure you’ll always get the exact heat you want.
- The cast iron grates are reversible for low and slow smoking or high heat searing so that you can cook anything from burgers to ribs without any hassle.
- There are two porcelain-coated warming/smoking racks for a total of 560 square inches of cooking space—so there’s plenty of room for everything from a whole turkey to ribs, steaks, and veggies.
The Bottom line
The Masterbuilt Gravity Series 560 is best for those who want a smoker that’s easy to use, produces heat fast, and is built to last.
It comes with all the features you need for smoking meat at home without breaking the bank.
The Masterbuilt Gravity Series 560 is also covered by a 1-year warranty—so if anything goes wrong during that time, you can get it fixed or replaced for free.
You can check the latest price and buy the Masterbuilt Gravity Series 560 here:
8. Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker
Best vertical charcoal smoker
The Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker is the ideal way to enjoy a great barbecue in your own backyard.
It’s one of the most popular smokers for beginners because it’s long-lasting, simple to use, and produces delicious results every time.
The smoker’s versatile design allows you to use it for all of your favorite backyard barbecue needs. It also allows you to add the perfect smoky flavor to any meal, whether you’re preparing a feast at the start of a long day or making juicy ribs from scratch.
It’s made of tough steel, with a tough rotisserie rack hanging off the bottom of the smoker for easy cleanup.
This smoker is ideal for smoking multiple items at the same time, as it features an easy-to-use smoker box control that allows you to adjust the temperature and smoke time as needed.
- This unit is designed to retain heat for a longer time.
- The finish resists rusting, cracking, and peeling in high temperatures.
- It has precise temperature control via easily adjustable dampers.
- The two cooking grates provide ample smoking space for multiple large items.
- The internal temperature is displayed on the lid thermometer, allowing you to adjust the heat as needed.
- The water pan in the smoker is designed to prevent the meat from drying out, and it can be removed easily for cleaning.
The Bottom Line
The Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker is best for those who want a high-quality vertical charcoal smoker that’s easy to use and maintain. It has all the features you need in a smoker, plus it’s made by one of the top names in outdoor cooking equipment.
You can check the latest price and buy the Weber Smokey Mountain here:
What are the different types of smokers that beginners should know
There are a number of different types of best smokers for beginners, and each type has its own advantages and disadvantages. Here are 7 of the most popular types of smokers
- Charcoal smoker
- Electric smoker
- Pellet smoker
- Offset smoker
- Drum smoker
- Propane smoker
- Gravity Smoker
Charcoal smokers are one of the most popular types of smokers because they are easy to use and can be used to cook various foods.
The most common charcoal smokers are the kettle grill and the offset smoker, although there are other options.
Charcoal smokers use an indirect source of heat—in this case, wood chips/wood chunks and charcoal—to produce smoke that travels through a cooking chamber made of metal or ceramic materials and filled with small holes that allow air to flow freely (without much pressure). This process produces smoke that permeates the food while preventing it from drying out.
Because of the indirect heat source, the meat is cooked slowly over a long period of time—often up to 7~12 hours or more—which allows for the creation of tender, juicy meat with a rich, unique smoky flavor.
Related article: 8 Best Charcoal Smoker (Ranked & Reviewed)
Electric smokers are a great way to smoke food without the hassle of fire. The smoker can be used for both meat and fish, and there are many different styles to choose from.
It is essential to note some differences between electric smokers and other types of smokers. While most other smokers with wood or charcoal, an electric smoker works in different ways: It uses electricity to heat the smoker, which is then used for smoking meat.
Electric smokers are generally safer than other types of smokers because there is no open flame.
Some electric smokers have a fan inside them, which helps circulate air around the meat as it cooks.
Others have vents on top that allow air to enter during cooking time. Most electric smokers also have temperature gauges on top so that you know how hot your food is getting.
Electric smokers are easy to use because they come equipped with everything you need for smoking food at home without having to go out into the yard and set up a fire pit or build something yourself (although we wouldn’t recommend doing this!).
Related article: 5 Best Electric Smokers In 2022
Pellet smokers are a type of smoker that uses wood pellets as fuel. Wood pellets are made from wood, sawdust, and other materials, which are compressed into small pieces. They are then burned in a smoker, which creates smoke that infuses the meat with flavor.
This type of smoker is ideal for smoking food in a single location without requiring much time or effort to start the fire.
It also allows you to control it from a distance using an app via Bluetooth/Wifi, which is impossible with some other types of smokers on the market.
Pellet smokers come in many different sizes and styles, but most have an LCD panel that allows you to monitor the internal temperature. Some models have an automatic feeder that allows you to feed pellets into the smoker from above, so you don’t have to move them yourself!
If you’re looking for a new pellet smoker that doesn’t require too much work, then read our ultimate guide on the 9 best pellet smokers on the market!
Related article: The 9 Best Pellet Smoker And Grill Of 2022
Offset smokers are a type of dedicated smoker that have a firebox that is offset from the main chamber where the meat is smoked.
The firebox is located on the side of the smoker, and its purpose is to hold up the hot charcoals and other smoking materials like wood chunks/wood logs. This allows smoke to be drawn into the main cooking chamber but not back out again.
Fire management on offset smokers is not easy and requires a lot of attention, experience, and patience.
You will have to keep an eye on the fire and make sure that it is hot enough to produce smoke but not so hot that it burns up all your wood before you are done smoking your meat.
Having said that, offset smokers are not easy to use and not suitable for inexperienced smokers.
Related article: 7 Best Offset Smoker in 2022 For Any Budget And Needs
A drum smoker is made from a steel drum with a hole cut to allow the meat to be placed on its rack and smoked.
The rack and hooks hold the meat in place with gravity while allowing airflow through the holes in the drum’s lid. The heat is provided by burning wood in the bottom of the drum, which allows you to control how hot it gets.
The smoker is designed in a drum shape to save space and eliminate the need for additional equipment.
Because it has wheels, this type of smoker is also portable, so you can move it from one location to another if you need to.
A drum smoker is an easy-to-use and inexpensive way to start smoking meat if you’re a beginner.
Related article: 6 Best Drum Smoker Of 2022 For An Unique BBQ Experience
Gas smokers use propane gas or natural gas as a fuel source, so you don’t have to worry about aligning a charcoal basket with the heat source.
Gas smokers are a great option for people who want to cook a large amount of food outside but don’t want to get their hands dirty while cooking.
They’re also great for those who want to use wood chips as an ingredient in their meals, as they are very easy to add and remove.
Related article: 7 Best Propane Smoker 2022 – Reviews & Buying Guide
The best way to explain gravity smokers is that they are a cross between traditional charcoal smokers and pellet smokers.
The technology behind gravity smokers is very similar to pellet smokers. The difference is that instead of using pellets, they use charcoal lumps or briquettes to create smoke.
On the side, there is a charcoal chute to put charcoal lumps or briquettes. The charcoal is lit, and the smoke is transferred to the smoking chamber by a digital fan at the bottom of the device.
Related article: 6 Best Gravity Smoker 2022: Revolution Of Charcoal Smoking
Is smoked meat healthy?
When cooking meat, you want to ensure it’s cooked thoroughly and evenly.
This is why many people like to use a smoker for cooking their meat: it allows them to get the smoky flavor they love while ensuring that the meat is cooked through.
In general, smoked meat is healthy because it’s been cooked in a way that preserves all of the nutrients in the meat.
Smoking meat also improves the texture of food by removing excess moisture and adding a smoky flavor.
Final thoughts: Best smoker for beginners
We hope you enjoyed our guide and found it helpful!
As mentioned in the beginning, we made this list with the best smokers for beginners in mind, so all of these picks will be easy to operate and maintain.
These are great smokers for someone looking to move up into smoking meat but may not have a ton of experience with the process.
The Masterbuilt did an outstanding job overall, and we see plenty of reason to recommend it to anyone who wants a reliable smoker that delivers great results. It’s easy to use, looks good, and will work well for just about any kind of meat.