Choosing the right pellet smoker is vitally important. The wrong choice could leave you unsatisfied and, even worse, unable to enjoy your food. The best pellet smoker that meets your needs and expectations can help you make the perfect meal in no time. In order to make sure that this doesn’t happen to you, I’ve put together a list of my top 9 picks for the best pellet smokers on the market.
A pellet smoker is a great choice if you’re looking for a convenient and easy smoker. Pellet smokers are easy to operate and even easier to clean up.
They’re also very high-tech, with computerized controls that let you monitor everything from the temperature inside the grill to the temperature of your food.
But, with so many different pellet smokers available, how do you know which is best for you?
To answer this question, I’ve ranked and reviewed the 9 best pellet smokers on the market based on features, benefits, and pricing. I will help you find the perfect smoker for your next barbecue party!
Let’s get started!
Here’s a list of my top picks for the 9 pellet smokers and pellet grills, along with their design, durability, pricing, and benefits:
1. Best Overall: Camp Chef DLX 24 Pellet Grill
2. Best value: Pit Boss Austin XL Wood Pellet Grill
3. Best for convenience: Camp Chef 36 in. Wi-Fi Woodwind Pellet Grill
4. Best Budget Pellet Grill: Oklahoma Joe’s Rider 600 Pellet Grill
5. Weber SmokeFire EX6
6. Traeger TFB57GZEO Pro Series 575 Pellet Grill
7. Z Grills 700D3 Pellet Grill
8. Char-Griller Wood Pro Pellet Grill
- It has a PID controller that controls the heat on the grill, even if it’s in the sun.
- It’s easy to adjust the smoke settings from 1 to 10.
- The grill’s temperature range is 160 °F to 500 °F, which gives you more opportunities to get the flavor you want.
- Have a high-visibility, low-glare digital display.
- They have pellet hopper and ash cleanout systems, making cleaning easier and faster than ever.
- It includes 2 meat probes that let you monitor food temperature at the same time.
- Cook your favorite foods in multiple ways on one sturdy grill with the easy-to-use Sidekick System.
- Offering a 3-year warranty can give you peace of mind that your grill will last through it all.
The Camp Chef SmokePro DLX Pellet Grill w/New PID Gen 2 Digital Controller is best for those who want to enjoy the taste of a perfectly grilled steak and veggies.
The new PID controller helps you get the right temperature and ensures that it stays at the right temperature. It has a large capacity to cook for many people at once.
You can check the latest price of the DLX 24 Pellet Grill here:
- 1,000 sq. ft. of cooking space. This is a great size for a gathering of up to four people.
- Porcelain-coated steel grilling grates improve heat retention for perfect searing food.
- The Dial-in digital control board has an LED to measure the cooking temperature without opening the lid.
- Open flame searing goes up to 1,000 °F, so you can sear your steak to perfection.
- 8-In-1 cooking versatility – grill, smoke, bake, roast, sear, braise, char-grill, and bake
- The heavy-duty stainless steel construction adds more durability.
- 31-pound hopper capacity allows for long-time food smoking.
With the ability to grill almost any food quickly and easily, the PIT BOSS Austin XL is great for those who want to host get-togethers of all kinds while not breaking the bank.
You can check the latest price of the Pit Boss Austin XL Wood Pellet Grill here:
3. Camp Chef 36 in. Wi-Fi Woodwind Pellet
- Provide the ability to control your smoker from your phone.
- It has an LCD screen and controls that are very bright and easy to read, so you can easily control the grilling temperature at any time without opening the lid.
- The heat diffuser on top of the firepot spreads the heat evenly and keeps it the same.
- With the addition of a Sidekick attachment, you now have a smaller second grill reaching temperatures of 1,100°F, great for searing steaks.
- It’s easy to assemble.
This machine is ideal for those who want the ease of controlling their pellet smoker from anywhere with their smartphone. You can operate everything from the palm of your hand, no matter where you are on the globe, as long as you have a mobile or wireless internet connection.
You can check the latest price of the Woodwind 36 here:
- 617 square inches of capacity gives you enough cooking space for main dishes and sides.
- With its two different guidance features, the Pit Control System makes cooking smarter:
- Timer Mode tells you when you’ve been at your desired grill temperature.
- Temp-Probe Mode tells you when your food has reached the right internal temperature.
- The Flex Racks System is easy to connect, which gives it more flexibility and lets you set it up in many different ways (additional racks sold separately).
- With a 20-pound capacity, the QuickDraw Hopper makes it easy to remove, store, and switch pellet flavors.
- powered by all-natural hardwood pellets for a rich, wood-fired taste.
- Heavy-gauge steel is used to make it last.
- The ash cup can be removed for easy cleaning.
- There is a modular shelf and a towel bar for preparing food and putting away tools.
- Wagon-style wheels make it easier to move around.
This is the smallest of Oklahoma Joe’s pellet grills. It will be great for those who don’t have a ton of space in their backyard or are not always cooking for lots of people when using the grill.
5. Weber SmokeFire EX6
- This pellet grill is ideal for searing and smoking. It has a temperature range of 200–600 °F.
- The porcelain-enamel finish retains heat and helps prevent rust and cracking.
- A large 1,008 square inches of dual grilling space ensures precise temperature control.
- Weber’s signature Flavorizer Bars let you grill like a pro while allowing you to experience the full smoked flavor.
- Weber Connect smart grilling technology guarantees perfect, wood-fired food every time.
- Backed by the 100-day money-back guarantee, you can rest assured that your investment is protected.
The Weber SmokeFire EX6 is best for those who want to cook and smoke simultaneously. This grill is great for anyone, from beginners to experts, because it has many features that make it easy to use. It has a temperature range of 200–600°F, which means you can use it all year round.
You can check the latest price of the Weber SmokeFire EX6 here:
6. Pit Boss 700FB
- You can use innovative flame broiler levels to achieve direct or indirect heat at 180 to 500°F.
- The digital control board allows you to set and check the grilling temperature without opening the lid. You can set it and forget it.
- 700 square inches of cooking capacity will give you enough room to grill food for up to 6 people. You can grill two whole chickens at once, as well as 6 burgers at a time.
- Porcelain-coated cast iron grill grates improve heat retention for the perfect seared food.
- Has a searing zone, so you can put a nice sear on a steak!
- It has a side shelf and a lower cabinet to store your grilling accessories and other items.
The Pit Boss 700FB Pellet Grill is one of the best values on this list and is a great choice for beginners who want a quality pellet smoker without spending a lot of money.
You can check the latest price of the Pit Boss 700FB here:
- The Traeger app allows the user to control the grill from anywhere.
- Alexa-enabled devices can turn the grill on and off using voice commands.
- It offers 6-in-1 versatility to grill, smoke, bake, roast, braise, and BBQ all on the same grill.
- It has porcelain grill grates, so you can clean up with ease.
- It has 575 sq inches of cooking space that can accommodate twenty-four burgers, five-rib racks, or four chickens.
- The built-in meat probe allows you to cook to perfection.
You can check the latest price of the Traeger Pro 575 here:
- The PID controller ensures that your meat is cooked through evenly.
- For strength and durability, it’s made of high-temperature powder-coated steel.
- In colder climates, especially during the winter, its dual-wall insulation technology conserves heat and reduces fuel use.
- You can measure the temperature of the meat without opening the lid with a pair of meat probes, so you don’t have to worry about heat loss during cooking.
- Its waterproof cover matches flawlessly and offers good water resistance.
- A huge hopper can hold 20 pounds (about 9 kg) of pellet bags.
- Cleaning is made easier with a hopper clean-out.
- It has a storage compartment at the bottom that can store extra pellets and accessories.
- They provide a three-year warranty, so you can rest easy knowing your money is safe.
For those who want the best of the best pellet smokers at a price under 650 dollars, the ZGrills 700D3 is the best choice. It’s also a great option if you have a large family, as it has plenty of cooking space.
You can check the latest price of the Z Grills 700D3Z Grills 700D3 here:
- They have porcelain-coated cast-iron grates, to prevent this grill from rusting, flaking, or peeling.
- They have electronic control for precision. You’ll be able to set your temperature exactly as you want it without worrying about losing track of time or forgetting what level your heat setting is.
- Digital thermostat control will keep track of it for you, letting you know when food is done without having to check on it yourself constantly.
- The drip pan makes clean-up easy—just pull out the tray and dump out the ashes and grease.
- A light-up display lets you know how much fuel is left in the hopper so that you never run out unexpectedly mid-cookout again.
- This grill is fueled by pellets, a more efficient and cleaner way to cook than charcoal.
- The powder coating finish makes it look sleek and modern and protects the grill from rusting or chipping over time.
The Char-Griller Wood Pro Pellet Grill is best for those looking to get into smoking and grilling but don’t want to spend a ton of money. This grill has high-quality parts, including the PID controller, which helps you regulate the temperature.
You can check the latest price of the Char-Griller Wood Pro Grill here:
A pellet smoker is a type of smoker that uses wood pellets as fuel. They are often used for smoking foods but can also be used for grilling and baking.
The wood pellets are made from compressed sawdust, which burns more slowly than wood chips or chunks. The indirect heat from the pellets cooks food rather than the direct heat from an open flame.
Pellet smokers are designed to create a steady temperature throughout the cooking chamber, so food cooks evenly and safely.
They’re perfect for cooking meat, no matter your skill level or the size of your outdoor kitchen.
How far should a pellet smoker be from the house?
The distance a pellet smoker should be from your house depends on the model and how much smoke you’re willing to tolerate. Smoke can be irritating, and some prefer to keep their smokers as far away as possible.
However, if you’re looking for an efficient way to smoke meat without having to tend to it and add fuel constantly, getting a pellet smoker that’s close enough to tend to it easily might make sense.
Some models have built-in fans that help move the smoke away from the house, but this may not be enough if you’re sensitive to smoke. In that case, try finding a model with a larger hopper so that you don’t have to refuel as often.
How long can pellet grills stay in the hopper?
Pellet grills can stay in the hopper for quite a while, but we recommend removing them after cooking an hour or two. This is because the heat inside the hopper can cause the pellets to burn, which will ruin your flavor and potentially cause smoke damage to your grill. We also recommend using a pellet scoop to remove pellets from the hopper. The scoop prevents you from reaching deep into the chamber with your hand, which could be dangerous if there is still hot ash inside.
Can you run a pellet grill smoker all night?
Yes, you can run a pellet grill smoker all night. There are a few things to keep in mind, though:
1. You’ll need to ensure your fuel source is appropriate for your cooking period.
2. Make sure you have enough wood pellets so that you don’t have to refuel during the night—if you do have to refuel, it might mean that your temperature has gone down too far. You’ll have to wait for it to return to cooking temperature again before continuing with the rest of your meat.
My personal top pick for the best pellet smoker is the Camp Chef DLX 24 Pellet Grill. It combines style, usability, and quality materials to take the first spot on this list.
However, every model on our list has unique features and functions, as well as pros and cons, that you have to consider before making a final purchase decision.
Also, different grilling styles call for different types of smokers depending on your needs. The perfect smoker could be anything from a simple kettle model to an advanced barrel-style setup.
In closing, I recommend you consider your needs before taking the plunge into buying an advanced smoker with many bells and whistles.