An offset smoker has many benefits. They’re easier to control and produce more consistent results than other smokers. If you’re interested in learning about offset smokers, this article will be a big help. In addition, I have put together a list of the 7 best offset smokers, along with my 5 picks for you to consider.
This website uses affiliate links; if you click on my link and make a purchase, I will receive a small commission at no additional cost to you. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nowadays, offset smokers have become more and more popular. Their popularity stems from their excellent designs and size.
They also use charcoal and wood as heating fuel like a standard charcoal smoker, but they come in a great size with a firebox on the side for improving the airflow and producing more efficient heat.
If you have been looking for a good offset smoker, don’t worry because we will list down the best offset smoker models and brands available on the market.
In this article, we will give an honest review of every brand based on our research so that you can save valuable time and money by choosing the perfect one for yourself.
Let’s dive in!
What is the best offset smoker?
Here are 7 best offset smokers to buy this year:
- Best Overall: Oklahoma Joe’s Highland Reverse Flow Offset Smoker
- Best User-friendly: Broil-King Smoke Offset Charcoal Smoker
- Best Combo: Oklahoma Joe’s Longhorn Gas Charcoal Grill Smoker Combo
- Best For BBQ Enthusiasts: Yoder Smokers Loaded Wichita Offset Smoker
- Best Budget: Char-Griller Competition Charcoal Grill
- Best High-End: Pitts and Spitts Ultimate Smoker Pit U1830
- Best hand-crafted offset: Franklin Barbecue Pits
1. Oklahoma Joe’s Highland Reverse Flow Offset Smoker
This smoker features four baffles under porcelain-coated wire grates that deliver even heat and smoke through the cooking chamber. The large charcoal basket provides a more efficient burn, easier tending to the fire, and quick cleanup.
The Oklahoma Joe’s Highland Reverse Flow Smoker is a multi-functional combination offset smoker that can be used as a reverse-flow or a traditional offset smoker.
This smoker features four removable baffles that ensure even heat distribution and a large charcoal basket for easier use.
Finally, It has a heavy-gauge steel construction built to last and high-temperature, heavy-gauge steel construction.
You can choose between reverse flow smoking and traditional offset smoking, thanks to optional smokestack locations:
- The reverse flow smoker is designed for large cuts of meat like brisket, which requires more smoke to be drawn through the cooking chamber.
- With the standard offset smoker, you can easily cook smaller cuts of meat like pork butts and ribs.
The Highland Reverse Flow Smoker uses four baffles locked under porcelain-coated wire grates to deliver even heat and smoke through the cooking chamber.
A large charcoal basket allows for a more efficient burn, easier fire management, and quick cleanup. This also saves you money by using fewer charcoal and wood chunks per batch of food.
Total Cooking Area: 900 square inches of cooking space
- The main chamber has 619 square inches of primary cooking space
- The offset firebox has 281 square inches of secondary cooking space.
It has a handy door on the side of the firebox that allows you to stoke your fire without opening the chamber lid, making raking out the firebox ash much more accessible.
A professional lid-mounted temperature gauge is also included for accurate temperature monitoring.
Large wagon-style wheels allow it to be easily moved around your backyard and stored in an outdoor shed or garage.
Finally, cool-touch handles keep your hands cool while you’re inside working.
Pros And Cons
You can check the latest price and buy Oklahoma Joe’s Highland here:
2. Yoder Smokers Loaded Wichita Offset Smoker
The Yoder Smokers Wichita Offset Smoker, at just over 1650 square inches, is the ultimate backyard low and slow outdoor cooking machine.
It is designed to bring out the flavor of your favorite meats and fish, has a massive 1610 sq. in. cooking space, and a lifetime warranty.
This product is made in the United States and is built to last. It has 6 lockable doors, locking gaskets on all access points, and tool-free installation, making it simple to assemble or disassemble by one person.
The Smoke Offset Charcoal Smoker is constructed from a new 1/4″ pipe and plate to ensure durability and longevity.
The cooking chamber has dual thermometers mounted on the door to monitor temperature levels easily.
The handles are “cool to the touch,” which means they won’t burn your hands while cooking.
It also has removable cooking grates in the firebox and cooking chamber, so you can remove them if you want to leave them out while you cook at home or away from home.
The top slide-out shelf adds a cooking area if needed and a counterweight mounted on the door to keep it balanced when open. It also has a new style swinging door probe port that allows you to monitor temperature at all times.
You’ll also love having a pot warmer in the firebox for additional cooking space and convenience.
You can check the latest price and buy Yoder Smokers Wichita here:
3. Oklahoma Joe’s Longhorn Gas Charcoal Grill Smoker Combo
The Oklahoma Joe’s Signature BBQ and Smoker Combo has a 2-year warranty and hassle-free service.
The prompt delivery of gas and charcoal grills ensures you don’t have to deal with empty coal baskets or an overheated grill after hours of cooking.
Enjoy true comfort and convenience with solid steel construction that can be used as a deck oven, a smoker, or both!
- Total cooking space: 1,060 Sq. inches
- Two separate cooking chambers —one for smoking and one for gas grilling—are perfect for family meals and entertaining guests.
- Using multiple dampers and a firebox, you can easily control the smoke and heat in both chambers.
- The storage shelf underneath the cooking chamber keeps utensils and extra fuel close at hand on a convenient metal shelf, so there’s no need to go digging through drawers or cabinets!
- The lid-mounted temperature gauges in the cooking chamber are easy to read even when handling hot pans or grills without gloves on—just make sure not to touch them!
- Cool-touch steel handles protect your hands from heat while giving you an easy grip on the lid.
- An access door on the firebox makes stoking the fire easy without opening up the main chamber lid.
You can check the latest price and buy Oklahoma Joe’s Highland here:
4. Char-Griller Competition Charcoal Grill
In addition to 1,012 sq. in. of cooking space, this charcoal grill has an offset firebox for authentic smokehouse flavor, an adjustable side air vent, and heavy-gauge steel construction that lasts season after season.
Its adjustable side air vent allows smoke to flow through rather than build up around the sides.
It’s made of sturdy steel and has premium expanded metal cooking grates powder coated to give it an even better look and feel.
The powder coating finish makes cleanup a breeze, and the dual damper control allows for easy internal temperature control without worrying about the firebox overheating.
The temperature gauge allows you to check the internal temperature of your meat without opening the lid, which causes a heat drop during the smoking process.
The front shelf comes with utensil hooks so that all the tools you need for cooking are right there when you need them!
Stay Cool handles make lifting heavy-duty hardware easier to get more done in less time!
The Competition Pro has a hand grip that stays cool and makes it easy to hold and move.
5. Broil-King Smoke Offset Charcoal Smoker
The Broil-King Smoke Offset Charcoal Smoker is the ideal backyard smoker for beginners and professionals alike. It has 955 square inches of cooking space with two large crack-proof wheels on either side of the smoker, which you can use to wheel the smoker around your yard or outdoors while cooking on it.
The Broil-King Smoke Offset Charcoal Smoker is a fully adjustable smoker with a fully adjustable internal damper, two doors with heavy-duty stainless steel handles, and a durable front shelf with integrated tool hooks.
The smoker also features Porcelain-coated cast iron cooking grids to ensure even heating throughout the entire area. So you won’t have to worry about having hot spots or cold spots anywhere on your food!
The Accu-Temp™ thermometer with chrome bezel allows you to monitor your cook’s temperature without ever having to touch the grill.
It also comes with a bottle opener to enjoy a cold beer while watching your food cook.
It features fully adjustable Roto-Draft™ dampers for ultimate heat control and comes with removable ashtrays in small and large cooking chambers.
The 2 mm gauge steel construction makes this smoker durable and sturdy and can be used outdoors or indoors.
Pros And Cons
6. Pitts and Spitts Ultimate Smoker Pit U1830
The Pitts and Spitts Ultimate Smoker Pit U1830 is the go-to design for most backyard pitmasters.
This versatile unit can handle anything from brisket and ribs to pizza and fish, with an offset firebox designed to meet the needs of everyone.
The patented roll-top lid, stack cap, prep shelf, firebox damper, and propane bottle holder are all constructed of the highest quality 304 stainless steel and have various features that make it easy to cook whatever you want on this one unit.
The removable dual cooking grates give you plenty of space to cook whatever you want—and they’re easy to clean up after.
Removable dual cooking grates allow you to cook efficiently, while the 3/16″ carbon steel cooking chamber with a built-in water reservoir ensures moisture and heat while cooking—so your meat doesn’t become dry or rubbery.
The Ultimate offers a 30,000 BTU rating propane log lighter for starting your fire quickly and safely.
This smoker features a stainless steel screw intake damper on the firebox for precise temperature control and an upper smoke stack damper that manages smoke.
It also has two solid rubber wheels on the back that are 10 inches in diameter and two swivel wheels on the front that are 5 inches in diameter. This makes it easy to move around your yard or patio.
7. Franklin Barbecue Pits
Smoking meat is obviously much easier with a professional-level smoker like the Franklin Barbecue Pit. It will save you time and energy while allowing you to keep your smokehouse in good working order.
Aaron Franklin, host of BBQ with Franklin and owner and chief firestarter at Austin’s Franklin Barbecue, handcrafted this type of smoker in Austin, TX, weighing 600 pounds and measuring 80″ long and 81″ tall.
It’s the ideal size for backyard parties or catering events, with 42″ of smoked brisket capacity, a single cooking grate, and a water pan shelf built right in. It also comes with rolling casters for easy movement when needed.
- This pit is made of American-made steel and has a double-wall firebox for maximum heat retention.
- It also has a removable smoke stack for easy cleaning and maintenance.
- The single dedicated cooking grate allows you to cook multiple foods at once, so you don’t have to worry about overloading the grill or wasting time moving food around while it cooks.
- This unit is engineered with plenty of space inside for cooking multiple briskets at once.
- It also features a water pan shelf so you can put water in the bottom of the unit to add moisture to your meat while it cooks.
- The stainless steel handle makes lifting the grill up and down simple and provides extra grip when moving it around on its rollers.
- Finally, this stainless steel barbecue pit includes four 5″ rolling casters so that it can easily move from one place to another without lifting anything heavy.
What is an offset smoker?
Offset smokers are the best way to cook when looking for a traditional, wood-burning flavor. Offset smokers have a firebox on one side of a cooking chamber; it holds charcoal and wood chunks that provide indirect heat.
Furthermore, the cooking chamber includes shelves that allow you to stack your food while cooking and keep it away from the heat source, making temperature control easier. You can cook directly over the firebox or indirectly by placing food on top of the shelves.
The indirect heat helps cook food without exposing it to the intense heat of an open flame. You can use less fuel than a direct-heat pit or grill while still getting delicious results!
The smoke generated by this cooking method can be used for flavoring or added moisture in various ways.
What is the purpose of offset smokers?
The purpose of offset smokers is to create the most fantastic food from a smoker. They are indirect heat types of smokers that allow you to stoke the fire or add wood chips, chunks, logs, or wood pellets without opening the cooking chamber.
An offset smoker’s indirect heat and low temperature allow for the slow, low-temperature smoke needed to produce succulent, flavorful meat.
This is especially useful in smoked meats but works well with seafood, poultry, and vegetables.
The low temperature and long cooking time allow the natural moisture in the meat to extract more flavor from the meat itself.
Best Offset Smoker – FAQs
So you want to buy an offset smoker? Of course, this is a personal preference decision, but we believe one of the seven best offset smokers listed above will be a good fit for any home barbecue enthusiast.
In particular, the Highland Reverse Flow Offset Smoker impressed us with its functionality and value. It’s significantly less expensive than some competitors and cooks like a dream.
We can see some quality smoking chips in all seven of these smokers. Take your pick, fire that smoker up, and prepare for delicious swine!