Choosing the right electric smoker is vitally important. From cooking meat to fish, these smokers can do it all. It helps you cook food as tasty as a grill or BBQ but won’t make your kitchen smell like smoked meat for days. In this article, I’ve pulled together a list of the five best electric smokers in 2022, along with my top 3 picks, so you can choose the one that’s right for you.
Electric smokers are becoming the hottest trend in outdoor cooking because they’re so convenient. You can cook various dishes with this amazing appliance, including meat, fish, vegetables, and even some desserts!
Even if you’re not the most experienced chef in the world, this smoker makes things simple by automatically regulating temperature and timing.
But, with so many different types of electric smokers on the market, so it might be tough to choose the right one.
To help you make an easier buying decision, let me walk you through my list of the 5 best electric smokers this year!
Let’s get started!
What is the best electric smoker?
Here are my top 5 picks of the best electric smokers to buy this year:
- Best Overall: Masterbuilt ’30-Inch Digital Electric Smoker
- Best with remote control: Char-Broil Deluxe Digital Electric Smoker
- Best Bluetooth: Masterbuilt Bluetooth Smart Digital Electric Smoker 40-Inch
- Best Budget: Royal Gourmet 28-inch Electric Smoker
- Best High-End: Smokin-it Model #2 Electric Smoker
1. Masterbuilt 30-Inch Digital Electric Smoker
- The temperature reaches up to 275˚F, so you’ll get perfect meat every time.
- The digital panel controls on/off, cooking temperature, and time, so it’s super easy to use—even if you’re new to smoking.
- It has 711 sq. in. of cooking space where you can cook for the whole family at once.
- The four chrome-coated cooking racks allow even heat distribution, so your meat will cook evenly without drying out.
- Thermostat-temperature control for even, consistent smoking
- The included water bowl adds moisture and flavor to your food, while the air damper allows you to control the amount of smoke that enters the smoker.
- For easy cleaning, the removable drip pan and rear grease tray catch food drippings so you can enjoy the smoky flavors of your barbecue without worrying about cleaning up afterward.
You can check the latest price and buy the Masterbuilt 30-Inch Digital here:
2. Char-Broil Deluxe Digital Electric Smoker
- With 725 square inches of cooking space across 4 easily adjustable or removable racks, this smoker has enough room for even large cuts of meat like brisket or pork shoulder.
- The insulated, double-wall construction and glass door allows you to see what’s inside your food while it cooks.
- Comes with a removable integrated food thermometer so you can set your desired internal temperature without lifting a finger (or opening the door).
- The stainless steel locking latch creates a smoke-tight seal, meaning you’ll have no trouble keeping your food from drying out while it cooks—no matter how long it takes.
- The remote control allows you to monitor and control your cook from a distance.
The Char-Broil Deluxe Digital Electric Smoker is best for those who want to control the smoker from a distance since it has a remote control and also for those who wish to smoke at a specific time.
You can check the latest price and buy the Char-Broil Deluxe Digital here:
3. Masterbuilt Bluetooth Smart Digital 40-Inch
- It has a Bluetooth Smart technology that allows you to monitor and control your meat and smoker temperature from your smart device or digital control panel
- One meat probe thermometer is included, so you can get precise readings on the internal temperature of the meat.
- The patented side wood chip loading system allows you to add wood chips without opening the smoker glass door.
- Four chrome-coated smoking racks allow you to cook different meats at once
- The interior light illuminates food in low light when the door is open, making it easy to see what’s happening inside while cooking.
The Masterbuilt Bluetooth Smart Digital Electric Smoker 40 Inch is best for those who want to control the smoker with their smart device, whether an iPhone or an Android phone.
You can check the latest price and buy the Masterbuilt Bluetooth Smart Digital 40-ich here:
4. Royal Gourmet 28-inch
- With a 1500-watt heating power, fully adjustable, and removable digital controller, this smoker can accommodate a wide range of smoking needs.
- It comes with a removable stainless steel water pan, a Lidded chip box to keep your meat moist, and an independent grease cup that makes your life easier with quick and convenient clean-up.
- The smoker features multi-functional uses for smoked barbecue, firewood grilling, steaming, drying, and so on.
- It has a latch system ensuring a good seal performance, a cool-touch spring door handle preventing scalding, and two side handles for convenient transport.
Royal Gourmet 28-inch Electric Smoker is best for those who want a smoker that can cook your favorite food with even heating at a reasonable price.
You can check the latest price and buy the Royal Gourmet 28-inch here:
5. Smokin-it Model #2
- Has an 800-watt heating element, which means you can get your food smoking in no time.
- Uses a stainless steel construction, which means it can withstand the wear and tear of heavy commercial use.
- Comes with 4″ diameter rubber casters and 4 removable shelves for more convenient storage of your meat or fish.
- The unit is NSF certified for restaurant use, so you know it’s safe to use at home.
- The two side handles make it easy to move the smoker around.
If you’re looking for a high-end electric smoker with stainless steel construction, Smokin-it Model #2 Electric Smoker is the way to go.
You can check the latest price and buy the Smokin-it Model #2 here:
What is an electric smoker?
An electric smoker is a small, portable grill that uses wood chips or charcoal to smoke meats and other foods. The bottom of this type of smoker has a heating element that heats the wood chips and produces smoke, which then permeates your food. The smoke imparts a pleasant flavor while protecting against foodborne illnesses like botulism.
Because the heat source is beneath the cooking surface, you won’t have to worry about your food getting burned when cooking. It can be used indoors or outdoors since the heat source is contained within the box, so there are no open flames.
What to consider when buying an electric smoker?
When you’re buying a smoker, there are a few things you should consider:
High-quality metal build
When you’re looking for an electric smoker, you’ll likely find a lot of different options. But one of the most important things to consider when buying an electric smoker is how well-built it is.
Generally, higher-quality metal builds are more durable and last longer than their cheaper counterparts. They also tend to have better ventilation systems that allow your food’s heat to escape, preventing burning and loss of flavor.
Size and capacity
Electric smokers are typically smaller than charcoal smokers, but there are still many options. The average electric smoker has three or four cooking racks and can hold up to 10 pounds of meat at a time.
If you plan on cooking in large quantities, you’ll need a larger smoker with more racks and a larger capacity.
If you are looking for an electric smoker that will last you through many years of use, you should consider buying one with excellent insulation. The higher the quality of the insulation, the better it will keep the temperature stable and the ability to withstand bad weather.
When choosing an electric smoker, you have to make sure that its insulation is good enough to keep your food warm or hot during cooking time.
Door and damper seal integrity
Smoke can escape and ruin your food if a smoker doesn’t have a tight seal. A good quality smoker will have a tight seal that allows air to pass through without allowing smoke to escape.
The best way to determine if your smoker has good door and damper seals are by checking the manufacturer’s instructions for proper product operation.
When buying an electric smoker, you want to keep in mind the ideal temperature range for smoking food. This will vary from product to product, so it pays to research online and ensures your smoker can handle the temperatures you need.
The ideal temperature range for most foods is 100°F to 400°F and even up to 500°F. If you’re cooking at lower temperatures, it’s important to check the internal thermometer on your smoker to make sure that your food isn’t overcooked or undercooked.
Is it compatible with a water pan?
The best electric smokers are designed to work with water pans. Water pans are excellent for adding humidity inside your smoker and maintaining a consistent temperature.
Do you have specific needs? If so, make sure that the smoker has those features—for example, if you need a smoker with a wood chip tray for smoking foods like ribs or salmon, make sure that feature is included in any smokers you’re considering. It doesn’t hurt to ask!
If portability is important to you (or isn’t), this is another factor to consider when choosing a smoker. Some models have wheels and handles, while others have removable legs for easy transport from the kitchen countertop to the backyard patio. They also vary in weight and size, so keep this in mind when making your decision.
How much are you willing (and able) to spend? This will help narrow down your choices considerably—and it’s one of the most important factors when choosing an appliance or equipment!
Electric Smoker vs. Peller Smoker: The Differences
So you’ve decided to get an electric smoker but wonder if the Pellet Smoker is suitable for you.
Electric and pellet smokers are great ways to smoke meat, but they also have some key differences that you’ll want to consider before making your purchase.
The main difference between electric and pellet smokers is the fuel source. Electric ones use electricity to heat their burners, while pellet smokers use wood pellets made from compressed sawdust and other natural products like corn husks, beechwood shavings, and coconut shells.
Electric smokers are usually easier to clean than pellet smokers because you don’t have to clean them as often while they’re cooking.
Pellet smokers are smaller than electric ones, so they can’t eat large amounts of food as quickly. But they let you control the temperature more precisely than an electric model does, so you can get better results when smoking foods like salmon or ribs that need to be cooked at a specific temperature the whole time.
Also, you can get the guide on choosing the best pellet smokers in 2022 here.
How does an electric smoker work?
An electric smoker is a type of smoker that uses electricity to heat the wood chips or chunks that you put in it. You can then use this heat for cooking food at low temperatures for long periods.
Is it safe to use an electric smoker indoors?
Yes! Electric smokers do not produce any smoke, so they are perfectly safe to use indoors. If you’re using a grill plate or griddle, you’ll want to make sure that the area around your smoker is well-ventilated.
Do I need a special type of wood to use in an electric smoker?
No! You can use any type of wood in your electric smoker. However, suppose you’re going for that authentic BBQ flavor. In that case, we recommend using alder or hickory wood chips because they have a higher burn temperature than other types of wood and will give off more smoke during cooking time.
What foods can I cook in my smoker?
You can make all kinds of smoked foods in your electric smoker. Like a charcoal or gas grill, you can smoke anything from ribs to brisket to chicken to salmon. It’s super easy to use, and the results are delicious.
How does an electric smoker compare to a gas or charcoal model?
An electric smoker is great for people who don’t have access to natural gas or propane, and it’s also great for those who don’t want to deal with the mess and hassle of charcoal briquettes.
An electric smoker uses electricity to power its heating element, so it’s easy to use—and clean! Just plug it in and turn it on. Electric smokers do not require any additional fuel besides electricity, making them easier to use than alternative types of smokers.
Does the food taste different when smoked by an electric smoker?
The short answer is yes, but it’s a good difference. The electric smoker produces a more subtle smoke, and the meat has a slightly different flavor. However, this can be good or bad, depending on what you’re going for.
If you’re looking for something that tastes more like traditional barbecue, then an electric smoker won’t be your best bet. But if you want to experiment with new flavors in your smoked meats, an electric smoker is perfect!
How quickly will meat smoke in an electric smoker?
It depends on how much food you’re cooking and whether you’re using the smoker’s racks or cooking directly on the grate. If you’re smoking multiple racks of ribs or cooking on the grate, it could take up to 12 hours for meats to cook through.
However, if you’re only smoking one rack of ribs or cooking directly on the grate, meats could take around 4 hours to cook.
After all of this research, I’ve discovered that you don’t have to look very far to find the best electric smoker for yourself.
I’ve tried a plethora of different smokers, and these five are my favorites for many reasons.
We recommend the Masterbuilt 30-Inch Digital Electric Smoker if you can only have one smoker. You will not be let down.